How to Find a Realtor that Specializes in working with Seniors -video

Hi, Lisa Dunn with the RE/MAX Results Change AGEnt Group. Yesterday afternoon I was introduced to a gentleman who called himself a “certified senior specialist.” When I asked him where he had received that designation he wasn’t able to tell me. There are more and more real estate agents who are getting into this space of working with older adults in real estate. This is great. There is more than enough business for everyone. But the challenge is these people who call themselves a specialist makes the consumer think they received that designation from a national certifying body when they didn’t. They are just calling themselves an expert with no other accreditation. So, I thought it would be helpful for you to know what are the designation available to real estate agents

Senior Real Estate Specialist – SRES

This is a national designation offered by the National Association of Realtors. This class is taught in Minneapolis, and I am the instructor for that class.

Certified Senior Advisor – CSA

This is offered by the Society of Senior Advisors. This is the most difficult designation to earn and there are ongoing credits you need to earn each year in addition to ongoing background checks.

Realtor Senior Advisor – RSA

Offered through the Minneapolis Area Association of Realtors. I was also an instructor for this designation. This designation is no longer offered, but did require 12 hours of classwork as well as a bus tour of senior housing. This is a legitimate designation.

The other thing I want you to know; even though someone has earned those designations does not mean they are effective at their job of beign a real estate agent. It means they have taken the time to learn about aging issues.

If you’d like a copy of the “It’s your Move” manual that contains a list of really effective interview questions for when you’re ready to start interviewing your real estate agent, please contact me at


Lisa Dunn